First Fruits Arts Center is a 150+ seat multi-purpose arts centre in the village of Watergrasshill, 20km from Cork City. It is located in the former Church of Ireland on the southern edge of the village.
The Board of First Fruits was founded in 1711 by Queen Ann to build and improve Anglican Church of Ireland property in Ireland. Many of the Churches we see today were built in the late 18th and early 19th century, mostly of Gothic design.
The Church of Killaspugmullane as it was known (this was part of the civil parish of Watergrasshill) was one of the last Churches to be built by the Board of First Fruits. Earliest records show that there was a Church on this site in 1798 and the present church was opened in 1836. The famous Pain brothers George and James were involved in the design and build of this Church. The Church is built in yellow sandstone which was sourced in a quarry to the west of Watergrasshill village. The stone masons were an O’Regan family from Kildinan.